- May 17, 2019
- Posted by: admin
South-korean born, Melbourne-based pianist Rachel Shindang is a year 11 student, studying at Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School. She has been a student of Glenn Riddle since year 7. In 2017, Rachel successfully passed her AMusA exam, and made her first concerto debut with the Preston Symphony Orchestra, playing Mendelssohn’s 1st piano concerto in G minor. She was also awarded in many other Eisteddfods and local competitions, including multiple prizes from Geelong Eisteddfod and South Eastern Arts Festival.
In her spare time Rachel enjoys singing and receiving vocal lessons as her second study at her school. She is also progressing in her vocalist career, featuring in public concerts and competitions.
Rachel was the winner of the Outstanding Soloists Competition, held at VCASS, and the winner of Scotch College Piano Competition. Other scholarships include the VCASS Phyllis McDonald Piano Scholarship and Western Chances Scholarship. In 2019, Rachel competed in her first international competition, the 2018 Hanoi International Piano competition and reached the semi-finals. In April this year she competed in the Talent 3MBS Competition which was live broadcasted. Rachel aspires to be a pianist who connects with the audience by her music, exploring freely in the ocean of various genres of music.
- 2016 Geelong Eisteddfod Vocal solo popular music under 18 years, first prize
- 2016 SEAF contemporary vocal open age musical theatre, third prize
- 2016 SEAF Piano concerto 15 and under, third prize
- 2017 SEAF piano concerto 15 and under, first prize
- 2017 SEAF Junior recital pianoforte, HM
- 2016 Eisteddfod by the Bay pianoforte 16 and under Romantic Era, HM
- 2016 Eisteddfod by the Bay pianoforte 16 years and under, HM
- 2017 AmusA pass
- 2017 VCASS Phyllis McDonald piano scholarship
- 2017 Preston Youth Concerto competition, finalist
- 2018 VCASS Outstanding soloists competition, 1st prize
- 2018 Scotch College piano competition, 1st prize
- 2018 Hanoi International Competition, semi-finalist